1.20.2009

Berry Surprise Cake

My very first TWD post! I was so excited (still am) to be part of Tuesday's With Dorrie. When I got the cookbook, I eagerly read through many of the recipes (especially the pies!). I have to say that I would have never chosen to bake this cake if it wasn't for TWD (especially now because berries are so out of season). Before baking, I read some of the other bakers' experiences with the recipe wich proved to be very helpful. (Thank you to the other TWD bakers for the advice!)

I made some alterations of the recipe. First of all, like the other bakers suggested, I added more sugar to the filling. I added 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. I chose to add powdered sugar because I was affraid the addition of too much granulated sugar would cause the filling to be grainy.

The other changes I made was not out of choice but necessity, and they were all a result of the cake falling (rather collapsing) once it came out of the oven and cooled. In order to use the filling, I had to cut the cake in half (horizontally) to create two layers. Then I frosted it.

As for the taste, the cake tasted pretty good if one could get over it's tough texture. The filling, with the additional sugar, was the star of the cake. If berries were in season, then maybe they would have been the star of the cake. As a complete cake, the flavors were pretty well balanced (the tartness of the creamcheese off set the sweetness of the cake). I don't think I'll ever make this cake again, but I may use the filling with another cake recipe.

3 comments:

  1. WELCOME to TWD!! I probably would have skipped this cake too, were it not for TWD. The filling is great, though and would be excellent in with seasonal fruit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to TWD...You did a FABULOUS job! I LOVE the way you decorated your cake...it's very pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty Cake. Welcome to TWD. Fun baking. New experiences.

    ReplyDelete